- ESSEX INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS, BADDOW ROAD, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX.
- INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL FOR DESTITUTE BOYS, PRIMROSE HILL, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX.
- ESSEX INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL & HOME FOR DESTITUTE BOYS, PRIMROSE HILL, CHELMSFORD.
www.freewebs.com/essexhomeschool See further information.
For the education and training of destitute boys was established in 1872 supported by contributions. The cases admitted are voluntary cases and boys unconvicted of crime sent under magistrate's order, in pursuance of the Industrial Schools Act of 1866. The boys are 'half time' in school and 'half time' employed in house and garden work, shoemaking, tailoring and paper bag making; the religious teaching is protestant, but undenominational.
Certified 4th March 1873 at Baddow Road. Re-certified 4th February 1879 at Primrose Hill. for 150 boys and in 1924 for 130 boys at Baddow Hall. It became Essex Home Approved School, Rainsford End, from 1933 for 130 junior boys.
purpose-built institution with six acres of market garden.
1884 - Director Mr J. Brittain Pash; schoolmaster Mr S. Collins; clerk Mr C.W. Hayward; assistant in school Mr F. Turley; band and drill master Sergeant Muskett; housekeeper Miss Holmes.
1891 - Director Mr J. Brittain Pash; superintendent and chief schoolmaster Mr S. Collins; assistant teachers Messrs. Munro, Hall and Free; house matron Miss Holmes.
1893 - Resident manager and director Mr J Brittain Pash; superintendent and chief schoolmaster Mr S. Collins; assistant teachers Messrs. Munro, Hall, Free and Sorrell; matron Mrs Gray; clerk and general assistant Mr Hayward.
1900 - Resident manager and director Mr J Brittain Pash; clerk cashier and correspondent Mr C.W. Hayward; chief schoolmaster Mr J.R. Beeby; assistant schoolmasters Mr G. Russelle left 3rd November 1899 and was succeeded by Mr A.W. Burrows on 21st November 1899; Mr W. Tree and Mr H.C. Cooper, who is also bandmaster; Mr A.D. Newby, assistant clerk and assistant master; housekeeper Mrs Hayward; Miss Martin, nurse and assistant matron.
1903 - Superintendent Mr C.W. Howard; schoolmaster Mr J.R. Beeby; assistant teachers Messrs F.R. Thorpe, E.D. Lowes and Mr F.C. Simpson; Mr J.W. Rogers became assistant teacher on 8th December 1902 in succession to Mr Linacre who left on 24th October 1902. Remarks "The year has been marked by the retirement from active management of the school of Mr J. Brittain Pash, its founder".