Home

SCHOOL INDEX

Founded in 1854 as a Ragged school.  Certified 30th November 1863 for 180 boys in Commission Street. 

Moved to Lostock Junction and re-certified 13th June 1870 for 200 boys.  The school was set on 35 acres.     Cessation of certification or closure 15th June 1924.

STAFF

1866 - Master Mr Rathbone (previously chief assistant at the Manchester Industrial Schools), and his wife.

1867 - Mr & Mrs Rathbone.

1868 - Superintended by Mr & Mrs Rathbone, assisted by a schoolmaster Mr Hargreaves.

1869 - Mr Rathbone

1872 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Rathbone ; schoolmaster Mr Kirk.

1875 - Superintendent Mr Rathbone

1884 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Richard Gorst ; schoolmaster Mr A. Hunt ; assistant schoolmaster Mr C Needham.

1891 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Richard Gorst ; assistant matron Mrs Suart ; schoolmaster Mr H. Tyrer ; assistant schoolmaster Mr Swanson

1893 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Richard Gorst ; schoolmaster Mr Alfred Hall ; assistant schoolmaster Mr Broadbent ; assistant matron Miss C.B. Hutchinson ; general assistant Mrs Morris ; technical instructor and yardmaster Mr A. Wren/

1900 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Richard Gorst ; assistant matron Miss Gorst ; schoolmaster Mr G.C. Tingley ; assistant masters Messrs R.N. Roff and A. H. Hollingdale.

1903 - Superintendent and matron Mr & Mrs Richard Gorst ; schoolmaster Mr R. Jones ; assistant teachers Messrs M. Buckley and A. Wright.  The inspector remarked that in the summer of 1902 the whole school migrated to the sea-side for a fortnight's camp life.

Mr Richard Gorst remained as superintendent until 1917.